Friday, September 2, 2011

The New Lease of Life in Spring

I've always had a love/hate for spring. My love is for the magic of life that is created or re-bloomed in spring, and the growth that occurs. However I hate it from a horse perspective - especially when you own a horse who gains kgs just by the smell of grass! Needless to say, every year I get excited for the arrival of spring, signalling the end of a cold winter and moving into the warmer months. For most horse riders in the NZ climate, it means more riding - our paddocks begin to dry up and are no longer muddy, and the weather is more comfortable. Although September is classed the "rainy month"... you can still get a lot more done than in winter time.

For me, I spent the winter preparing for the return of spring, which would allow me more riding time. I got a few things that I was needing riding wise, and I got Honey's teeth done also. Minus vaccinations and a saddle fitter (which would be pointless as Honey is so obese, no bloody saddle minus a treeless is going to sit perfectly on her atm) her list is fully ticked off and she is more than ready to commence ridden work.

And apart from financially, I've also been preparing her via lunging which was going well. I am very careful not to overdo it, making sure my circles are large and not impacting on her shoulder.

I had a ride before her teeth were done and it was terrible to put it bluntly. She was in obvious discomfort in her mouth and so I was so thrilled to have the dentist so quickly. He was absolutely AMAZING and helped Honey tremendously! The proof was in the pudding today, when I rode her for the first time since the appointment. All of her head shaking and irritation ceased and she was rather calm with her head. However I do think she's girthy or cold backed like my old mare April, as she's doing similiar reactions.... she's stopping and kicking out in her first 10ish minutes of work still and acted up as soon as I did the girth up an extra hole. I understand with her being obese not the most pleasant experience... but she is a bloater and not to mention with the saddle slipping forward the girth does loosen off. I feel like I'm an evil person with the way she reacts. But then she calms down when she's warm and works beautifully, much like she did today. I was very impressed, her straight lines are improving and I focussed a lot on making her do large serpentines and changes of rein just to keep the walk interesting since the ground was too wet to trot!

And for me, I just recently bought some flexi irons, new jodphur boots and jodphurs, and felt extremely comfortable up in the saddle today, and the general ache I usually feel in the saddle wasn't present so I'm guessing the flexi irons have done the trick and if its not them, its the jodphur boots!

Well this is a short blog, to reopen the story towards the growth or if I can be incredibly cliche, the re-blooming of Honey and I in our training towards great partnership and new adventures!

Chelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment